Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Bird Butt




One of the first things as a beginning wildlife photographer you have to learn is how to avoid getting what I call "Bird Butt". Every animal has it and it is difficult to not get it. Animals move away from the photographer, that is their natural instinct. I'd do the same if I were in their position. There are a few things you can do to reduce the amount of "Bird Butt" moments you capture.

Anticipate. When I first started getting into wildlife photography I traveled to Yellowstone and I ran into a photographer who gave me a tip, "anticipate the animal, learn how they graze, then set yourself up for a great shot that might happen. That way if you get it you will have gotten a great shot and not a dozen mediocre shots."

Patience. When photographing birds they are very skittish. You need to sit in one place and wait a while. Some achieve great levels of success with blinds and other tools, I just simply get them used to me and don't make any suddent moves. Also using a long lens can help but I like to get some of the animals natural habitat.

No comments: